Panther Pack Makes a Comeback

Panther Pack gets the crowd ready at the Homecoming assembly

Alexis Losse, Staff Writer

This year, Prep’s beloved Panther Pack is back, and better than ever. Freshman year wouldn’t have been the same without Panther Pack’s energy and enthusiasm at football games. About Panther Pack’s duties freshmen year Chris Martin ’16 said, “We made signs to put up around the school that supported sports teams and gave the dates for their games, we helped plan assemblies and we started cheers and dances at the football games”.

Although they took a brief hiatus during sophomore and junior year, they’re finally back, with more spirit than before. When asked what was different between freshmen year Panther Pack and this year’s Panther Pack, Thomas Mallick ’16 said “Panther Pack is different this year because we are reaching out to variety of activities. We no longer just go to football games or basketball games, we go to everything. Whether that is soccer, golf, swimming, or volleyball, we will be there”.

This year’s Panther Pack consists of seniors Thomas Mallick, Nathan Usibelli, Ben Wagstaff, Brian Bowers, Matt Lico, Katie Brennan, Jalen Woodward, Ebbe Bertelotti, Megan Aust, Elena Joseph, and Maggie Malone. Panther Pack has many events coming up in the fall season, but the biggest events are Jersey Shore Night at the Golf match on October 12th, and Fiesta Night at the swim meet on October 9th.

At any football game, one will find Panther Pack situated in front of the student section, leading cheers and holding signs. A favorite activity among the students is the “I believe that we will win” cheer while tossing baby powder into the air. But Panther Pack will go to the fullest extent to entertain and lead the student sections at sporting events. At the football game against O’Dea, a couple of lucky students were selected along with Panther Pack members to run around the track with the Prep flag. The group was then yelled at by O’Dea’s Dean of Students. This goes to show the extreme spirit Panther Pack has for Seattle Prep athletics and their fans.

Thomas Mallick ’16 explains why he joined Panther Pack: “Freshmen year I went to a basketball game and the Lakeside gym was packed. The Prep student section was overflowing and the energy was incredible. That night just so happened to be Toga night. With the senior class leading cheers, Prep was unstoppable. We won and I went home knowing that when I was a senior I wanted to bring back that energy”.

With a group of people like this Prep’s energy is sure to be through the roof at every game, swim meet, and Mock Trial competition. After all, who needs cheerleaders when Prep’s got Panther Pack?