Going Green and Gold for St. Patrick’s Day

Meghan McLaughlin, Editor-in-Chief

With spring just around the corner, flowers come into bloom, leaves return to the trees, and that fresh green color is restored to the great outdoors. Yet this may not be the only type of green that will be seen. March 17 is the day one is obliged to receive a quick pinch for the absence of green in their ensemble.

Every possible hue of turquoise, moss green and mint is manipulated into just plain green to avoid pesky friends who follow the rules of the holiday with diligence. Not only does the clothing go to the clovers, however. Green food coloring saturates bagels, cookies are heavily frosted in different shades of shamrock, and golden chocolate coins allude to the pot at the end of the rainbow. St. Patrick’s Day marks an important holiday in the heritage of many students at Seattle Prep, as well as for a respected Catholic saint.

St. Patrick’s Day officially became a Christian feast day in the early seventeenth century in honor of Saint Patrick himself, but also to celebrate the arrival of Christianity in Ireland. It continues to be observed today with strong fervor to preserve the pride the Irish have for their lineage. The city of Seattle is rich with Irish history and tradition, which provides an authentic background for the festivities that occur surrounding this holiday.

The party begins with the St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday, March 14 at 12:30 pm. The Irish Heritage Club is behind all of the county banners, Irish dancers, Irish setters, and DeLoreans that take part in this festive parade through downtown. The Irish festival at the Seattle Center also begins this Saturday prior to St. Patrick’s Day, and concludes on Sunday. The festival includes Irish music, dancing, games, food and much more.

The St. Patty’s Day bash continues with the St. Patrick’s Day Dash on Sunday, March 15. With its “no leprechaun left behind” motto, there is an array of races to enter for anyone’s pace. It begins in the heart of the Seattle Center and loops around to end with a celebration back at the center. Many other events for St. Patrick’s Day take place in Seattle, often encouraging participants to “get your green on.” However one chooses to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, may the luck of the Irish be with everybody!