GJC Takes Strides for Change

Addie Roza, Staff Writer

Seattle Prep is making a difference in society through Global Justice Coalition. It started out as a small group of students at prep to spread awareness for current world issues. Now, GJC is made up of over 60 students, led by Liv McAuslan ’20 and four executive leaders including Emma Grossman ’20, Rieko Wellington ’21, Cara Weigand ’21, and Ailbhe Killalea ’22. They lead GJC with the focus on both local and global issues. McAuslan ’20 says the main goal is to create awareness but also “to inspire positive change throughout our Prep community on that issue.”

Every year GJC leads Peace and Justice week. This week is dedicated to spreading awareness throughout the community on the club’s chosen issue; which is the focus for the entire year. GJC leads the school in various activities and concludes the week with a guest speaker who is an expert on the matter.

In the past, GJC focused on homelessness in Seattle and the judicial system relating to the death penalty. This year, the coalition is focusing on the pervasive impacts of climate change on refugees and displaced persons.

“Effects of climate change on refugees, is an underrated issue which lacks the attention it needs. Many refugees are forced to leave their homes from natural disasters which is a result of climate change” Weigand ‘21. GJC will work throughout the year to alleviate this issue and lessen the burden these refugees possess.

Some of the main goals are to “raise awareness and shed light on specific issues in our world. With over 700 students at Prep, we have the means to catalyze lots of positive change and our job in GJC is to inspire and lead our school towards creating this change,” says McAuslan ‘20

Global Justice Coalition will not stop anytime soon, the coalition has big plans for the future and hopes to get the Prep community and students even more involved in current world issues. With more awareness and support, Prep can make a greater change. Creating a meaningful change with regard to climate change’s effect on refugees and as McAuslan ’20 says “complete involvement with the school would be transformational.”