Spirit Week 2020 Has Come and Gone, Now Here are the Results

Spirit Week events and competition-winning submissions.

Lauren Teders, Staff Writer

“Color Warring”, “Kahoot Competing”, “Trike Racing”, “Cook Offing”, “Pumpkin Carving”, “Madden Playing”, “Mask Designing”, and “Candy Jar Guessing” are all done in one week as the Seattle Prep Spirit Week takes off in full swing. ASB has been preparing for Spirit Week for quite a long time, as Lily ODonoghue-McDonald ’22 said, “First we did the back to school assembly, then as soon as that’s over Spirit Week is our whole focus.”

The ASB committee has worked hard to bring the Panther spirit to students through a screen, now it’s time to see how it all turned out.

Monday kicked off with the infamous Spirit Competition to see which grade can go the most all-out for their assigned color. Freshmen wore white, sophomores green, juniors red, and seniors in both Prep colors: white and blue. Senior pride was clearly evident in their outfits as they won this first competition. Throughout Tuesday’s lunch, many students tested their knowledge of Prep, Halloween, and health facts with a Kahoot. The big winner was Maddie Burke ’24, who won a gift card to Panther’s Place.

Wednesday was Community Day, where the bulk of the activities took place. The day kicked off with a good, old fashioned Trike Race where two representatives from each grade signed up to battle it out on the track. Radiating with excitement, the winner Liam Riley ’24 said “Yeah, it was pretty cool” upon being asked how it felt to win a 1st place trophy and bragging rights.

Students were also given the chance to show off their culinary artistry with the Cook Off. Judge, Addie Roza ’21 said “It was obvious that everyone put a lot of time into it, I was really impressed”.

Flore Bindel ’22 took the cake, or Seattle Prep cookies, for her entry of bavarois with a vanilla mousse.

Video gamers were given a shot to show off their speedy thumb skills with a Madden Tournament. The champions, Andrew Graham ’21 and Javier Davis ’21 may take on the champions of Bishop Blanchet’s tournament to fight for the dignity of Seattle Prep.

Lastly, Wednesday night was closed off with a Netflix Party, where students could cuddle up, grab a bowl of popcorn and watch “Goosebumps 2” with their classmates.

The activities did not end there, because Thursday was the Pumpkin Carving Contest. Students were encouraged to come up with their best jack-o-lantern designs to submit for a chance to win a Panther Place gift card. Maria Russo ’22 was deemed the pumpkin prodigy for her spooky depiction of Pennywise the Clown from “It”.

Friday rolled around and ASB was not going to let Spirit Week go by without a couple more competitions to do and prizes to be given. In perfect COVID-19 fashion, a Mask Designing Competition took place where the winner would have their design put onto real masks to be sold at Panther Place! Students should look out for Junior Lainey Bosler’s mask the next time they’re searching for Prep swag.

Finally, Spirit Week was ended by a classic, the Candy Jar Guessing Game. A jar filled with candy corn was given to the student who could guess closest to how many candies there were in the jar. Bradyn Buckholtz ’24 guessed 760 candy corns, which was 20 off from the amount he’ll be taking home, 780 candies.

Prep students were sad to see Spirit Week come to a close, but as poet Geoffrey Chaucer first said in the 14th century, “all good things must come to an end.”  ASB put together a great spirit week with tons of interactive events, competitions, and some fantastic prizes. Seattle Prep thanks all those who helped to prepare and execute Spirit Week and, as always, Go Panthers!