Girls’ Basketball Fight Hard in Close Wins

Paul Winebrenner, Staff Writer

While most Prep students and parents were on break, sixteen girls on the JV and Varsity basketball teams were hard at work practicing and playing games.
After the loss of Mary Ann Santucci and Maggie McDonald from last years Varsity squad, this year’s bunch drew closer together to continue their winning ways. This year’s star, Andraya Flor, scored 29 points in a spectacular win over Bainbridge.
The Bainbridge game started out well as the Panthers scored 18 points in the first quarter and pulled out to a slim four point lead. After maintaining the lead through the second quarter, Bainbridge pulled ahead midway through the third quarter, an exciting back and forth battle ensued over the next quarter and a half. The Panthers however, scored just enough points to tie the game up as the buzzer sounded at the end of regulation. Initially, it looked as if Bainbridge would pull away but several successful possessions put the Panthers over the top for a 57-53 win.
The Panthers continued into the New Year by dropping a close game to Newport High School 52-53. In that loss, Andraya Flor lead the Panthers with 13 points, but ultimately it was not enough. The Panthers quickly rebounded with a 62-20 victory over Nathan Hale on January 9th. In that game Flor had 23 points and 9 rebounds while Chinwe Ezeonu had 21

Girls Varsity Basketball has fought hard in several games this season.

points and 11 rebounds.
The team will continue to play until the beginning of February with 2 games every week. The schedules includes match ups against Lakeside, Roosevelt, West Seattle and Rainier Beach.