Senioritis or Prep Withdrawal?: Seniors Miss Traditions but Look Forward to the Future

Piper Wood, Staff Writer

As our 2019-2020 school year draws closer to an end, our students are looking back to our most recent times, to the things they haven’t been able to do, events they’ve missed, and staying at home, instead of living out their senior year dreams.  Taking a look into these unprecedented times, look not into the things that you haven’t done, but rather the things to look forward to doing, the things that will set you up for your future, and the promising lives you have in and out of quarantine.  Students have committed to colleges for next year and are already making plans for their next chapter.  Senior, Nick Faricy, plans on attending Marquette University in the fall to study real estate and business.  Faricy is a big sports fan, so he hopes to see professional and collegiate sports back to their season as soon as possible.  Although Faricy “misses his tennis season, prom, graduation”, and other rites of passage, he looks forward to spending time with his friends and make the best of his last summer.

Many seniors are moving on to different chapters in their lives, including where they’ll be living.  Wyatt Del Valle, ’20, said he will be attending University of San Francisco and is “excited to be in a fun city and grow as a person”.  Del Valle looks forward to getting out into the world, discovering a specific area of interest to study and is excited to narrow down his learning.

Anastasia Greene, ’20, plans to attend Cal Poly – San Luis Obispo in the fall and is excited to get out of Seattle and try new things.  Greene wishes they had more time to say goodbye and thank you to their classmates and Prep, but they “didn’t get the traditional ‘lasts’ that they expected” after 4 years of high school.  She wasn’t expecting this to change her senior year so much, but is making the best of it, being outside more and spending less time on her phone.

Although these seniors have not experienced a traditional final term, there is a lot to look forward to and experience as their lives continue to develop.  With their whole lives ahead of them, these seniors have truly realized their deep appreciation for everything they have in their lives.  Faricy is thankful for the education he has received at Prep, but more importantly, “the community he has had the blessing to be a part of.”