New Music Window Makes a Sound

Tessa Winkelhake, Photo and Graphics Editor

Prep's newest window class, the instrumental music ensemble rehearses
Prep’s newest window class, the instrumental music ensemble rehearses

This year the Seattle Prep music department has added a new program, the music window, to the department run by science and Spanish teacher, Ms. Tordillos.

In previous years there has been an instrumental group, but it did not meet consistently and was very low commitment. The new music group meets every window period, and wish to perform at upcoming Prep events. Seven students are presently in the window class but they want to expand and grow as they move forward.

An ensemble of a cello, played by Ms. Tordillos, two violins, a guitar, a bass, a trumpet and a clarinet combine to create a harmonious sound. The group is currently working from pop, praise and Christmas books. “Not everyone has been able to come to all the meetings,” said Ms. Tordillos who teaches the window class, “so it’s started off kind of slow.”

With each class they get to work to improve their skills as a cohesive group. The musicians are planning on playing at the next Coffee House and hope to perform at the Christmas concert. As the year goes on the music window seeks to attract more people and gather a more diverse and interesting group of musicians. The new music window has started off strong this year and should get even stronger throughout the course of the year.