Priests, Players, and Performances: A Look Back at 2017

Quinn Losse, Staff Writer

Students at Seattle Prep have begun their second semester and are continuing getting used to the new year. 2018 can be the year of new possibilities and experiences, however 2017 should not be overlooked. The memories that the Prep community has made in the past year have stood out and are what made 2017 such an unforgettable year.

The highly anticipated terrace on the sixth floor of Adelphia Memorial Hall has undergone construction has finally been completed. Sadly, students have not been able to enjoy the new amenity quite yet and the date is still to be determined, but it seems they will be able to eat lunch at the location in the near future.

The new year was kicked off with three performances of the musical Anything Goes in late February, starring now seniors Julia Ribas and Noelle Whitman. Junior Sicilia Mirante said “I formed some amazing relationships over the course of the musical, and it was overall an memorable experience.” The showing of A Pocket Full of Truffles later followed in the year staring Emma Cooney as the titular character, but this show was different from most others. Students helped to bring this show to life as they contributed in the process of creating the story-line that so many enjoyed and laughed with.

Students and faculty traveled down to the Tacoma Dome late March to watch as both the girls’ and boys’ varsity basketball teams competed in the quarterfinals. Although they were not able to take the trophies back to Capitol Hill, they played their best and made the trip well worth it for the spectators. Leila Norton ’19 described the event as being “full of energy with involvement from students of all grades.”

Between May and June, the school not only had to say goodbye to the class of 2017 as they graduated at Benaroya Hall to experience a new part of their lives, but Fr. Fitterer retired from being the school’s beloved priest. Even though Fr. Fitterer is no longer in the halls to greet every student he passes, Father has left an impact on the school and will always be a part of the Prep community.

The class of 2020 was welcomed in August with open arms from the upperclassmen as they began a new journey that is high school. The incoming freshmen were not the only new faces at school, as it was the first year of the Alumni Service Corps program. A few graduated students of Seattle Prep came back this year fresh out of college to help out with teaching, coaching, and retreats.

This past year was filled with fun dances that brought kids from all grades together to relieve them of stress from their busy lives. Freshmen were able to get loose and meet new friends at the Back to School Dance on August 25th and had their first formal high school dance on October 7th where they experienced the Pacific Northwest themed homecoming. Junior Raphaela Nicholls said “the dances last year allowed everyone, even the freshmen, to get out of their comfort zone and make new friends as school was beginning to start.”

November 1st marked the first All Saints Day Liturgy in the McHugh Gymnasium, led by Prep’s new pastor, Father Ryan. Short to follow in November was when the business club hosted Judge Robart as he spoke in the Great Room after school to all those interested. He discussed his personal life and career, as well as his blocking of Trump’s travel ban.

2017 was a great year for the students at Prep, but it will be a goal to make 2018 even better