ASC Brings Alums Back to Campus

Abby Arthur, Staff Writer

Starting next year, Seattle Prep is introducing a new alumni program stemming from the school’s Strategic Plan in hopes to better the school. This new program is called The Alumni Service Corps (ASC) and has been developed to bring Prep and college graduates closer to the current Prep community and extend the legacies of former Prep students.
The developer of this program is science teacher Brian Meza who has worked on this project since June of 2016 and has reached out to alumni who feel “a great sense of gratitude for their time at Prep.”
Meza first introduced this idea after doing marketing and research projects of other ASC programs in country from Jesuit schools. After researching the positive impact this program has had on other schools, Meza decided this would be a good way to strengthen the alumni outreach program, which is said to have needed some work. A Seattle Prep alum himself, Meza has felt a personal connection with this program and is excited to see it grow and develop.
These alumni have a large variety of career paths they plan to follow in their future but, “they all share an excitement and calling to give back in service to Prep.”
When asked what some of the main responsibilities of this job for the alumni will entail, Meza said “The ASC program will be an extension of our mission in action, where current Seattle Prep students will experience the leadership qualities of our recent graduates.”
The volunteers will also contribute in retreats, especially the organization of them, service projects, clubs, coaching, tutoring, and many other areas of Prep’s full learning experience.
Benefits for the students include getting to know past students and learning about they’re experiences as they try to help kids to make they’re Prep lives more manageable. In return, the alumni will receive incredible volunteer opportunities and a stronger sense of their Ignatian spirituality.