Prep Prepares to Abandon Apple

Walid Cruz-Vanegas, Staff Writer

Microsoft or Apple? Consumers ask themselves this question frequently in today’s economy, but what results of a school deciding between the 2 companies? 2017 is geared up to be a year of technological change and reformation.
The transition from iPads to Surfaces will bring new challenges and benefits to Seattle Prep academics. Students have already begun to form passionate opinions on the change. Some dread the switch, while others have a positive outlook on the new academic opportunities and practicality. The utility of Microsoft surfaces will not be determined until Fall of 2017.
Max Heid ’19 provided an opinion which compared the pros and cons of switching devices: “I think it will be ok, just, it’s too bad that we all bought iPads and now we cannot use them.”
Heid’s main point was financial inconvenience: “It’s difficult to have to learn a whole new system. But its nice that we can have more powerful computers to play better video games.”
Heid does not intend to play games in class, but is genuinely concerned for his privacy, “What we do in class should only be school work and they are only monitoring our screens in class, not looking at all our search histories and stuff.”
Mason Hoffman ’20 shared his view on Surfaces as well: “Surfaces are probably going to be difficult to adjust to, but they’ll be more convenient when we’re used to them.”
Hoffman occasionally is frustrated with the incompatibility of Microsoft software and Apple iPads. He believes switching to Surfaces will eradicate this issue. Hoffman, however, is not worried about privacy because he doesn’t use technology often already.
As of now, students are only able to speculate at the prospect of new devices next year. It seems to be consensus that Surfaces will be more helpful for school, convenience wise, but less so for the enjoyment of students.
Seattle Prep’s ‘ONE-TO-ONE’ Learning Initiative states: “We have noted the faculty concerns about not having robust management tools to monitor and limit iPad distractions during and after class,” meaning that Surfaces will likely better satisfy control of misbehavior. The initiative also says, “We have also seen the frustrations students experience in not being able to do 10% of their daily work, using only one device.”
This transition hopes to optimize technology in a progressive manner, and aims to satisfy the needs of students and faculty alike.