Six Panther Athletes Sign Letters of Intent

Panther athletes sign letters of intent to compete in college sports.

Paul Winebrenner, Sports Editor

On a drizzling Seattle day that flashed with sporadic sunlight, a bright spot shone on Seattle Prep as 6 student athletes signed their letters of intent to continue their athletic careers at the collegiate level. All six D-1 bound athletes were applauded and lauded by their peers and coaches respectively. Jacob Terao ‘17, Jesse Franklin ‘17, Cameron Smith ‘17, Chinwe Ezeonu ‘17, Collin Welp ‘17 and Aaron Nettles ’17 each signed their respective letters of intent amidst a proud audience of family, peers and friends.

After an introduction from Athletic Director Brian Elsner, Coach Kelly took the stage to praise each of the six athletes for their hard work and commitment to their academics and hard work. Aaron Nettles ‘17 signed for Seattle University to continue his illustrious basketball career. A 1,000-point scorer for Seattle Prep, even before his senior season, Nettles ’17 is a four year varsity player and according to Kelly one of the most complete point guards in Seattle Prep’s 125 year history.

Collin Welp signed for the University of California Irvine where he will feature as a complete player. Collin’s ability has been clear since he set foot on the basketball court. A natural post and perimeter shooter, Collin’s three-year run on Prep varsity basketball has been a, “matchup nightmare” for the opposing team according to Coach Kelly.

A clearly emotional Chinwe Ezeonu ‘17 addressed the audience with tears in her eyes as she thanked the Prep community and repeated how thankful and blessed she felt to have this opportunity. Coach Katie Fitzmaurice noted how Chinwe always gives 190 percent effort on the court, leading the team in points, rebounds, steals and fouls, drawing a laugh from the audience. A fierce competitor, Chinwe will play next year at San Jose State University.

Cameron Smith ’17 will swim for Arizona State University in 2017 after having one of the most storied Prep swim careers in the last 125 years. Coach Kirsti Rochon noted Smith’s ’17 talent, dedication and loyalty, giving countless examples, most notably that Cameron, “begins each day at 4am and swims 4,000 yards before most people’s alarms ring each morning”. A state gold medalist for 3 years running, Smith ‘17 will attempt to win her 4th consecutive 500 meter freestyle gold medal and her second consecutive 200 meter freestyle gold at the state championship on November 11th and 12th.

Coach Engel took the podium next to praise star three hitter Jesse Franklin ‘17, a new Michigan Wolverine. Amidst calls of “Go Spartans” from the audience, Engel recalled the story of Franklin’s rise to the varsity team remembering how reluctant the JV coach was to let Engel move Jesse to Varsity. Engel also recited Franklin’s long honor roll including making first team all metro and Star Times team sophomore year. Franklin ’17 took the podium next to thank his family especially his sister Bea, for coming to each and every game and for being the most supportive sister drawing great applause from the crowd.

The final athlete to be recognized was Jacob Terao, a four-year varsity baseball player. Coach Engel praised Terao’s love of the game and his true leadership from behind home plate during baseball games. An emotional Terao took the podium to thank both his baseball coach, Coach Engel, and also his football coach Coach Maul. Terao noted how hard coach Maul had made him work this past football season while playing the physical running back position. Both of Terao’s parents were in attendance and received thanks from their son for their support and love.

A proud group of athletes, coaches, family, friends and teachers cheered the student athletes as they signed their letters drawing tears from several in attendance. 6 D-1 bound athletes is certainly a strong showing from any school, but these athletes not only exemplify the qualities of star athletes, but star students who embody the mission of Seattle Prep. Go Panthers!