Students Wary of Zika Virus in Dominican Republic

Mimi Jurion, Staff Writer

Following the Ebola scare in 2014, the deadly mosquito virus known as the Zika virus is prevalent to many countries in South America, particularly Brazil, Venezuela, Columbia and some cases in the Dominican Republic. There is no immediate threat to our 13 Prep students traveling on the Dominican Republic Trip this June, since Zika virus is only dangerous for pregnant women, although some students are cautious. “Getting sick while I’m in the DR is what I am most worried about, but I think the parents are the ones who are freaking out about the Zika virus. It really only affects those who are pregnant, so it won’t pose a threat to me, but it will be interesting to see how it has affected women in the DR.” Maddie Swanborn ’17
The Aedes Aegypti mosquito in Brazil transmits the Zika virus which can lead to the Guillain-barre disorder which is when the immune system attacks the nervous system causing temporary paralysis. The virus results in babies that are born with disabilities, smaller heads and brains or lack of limbs. Scientist have yet found a way to diagnose the Zika virus through laboratories or science, but only by identifying symptoms such as fevers and a severe rash.
The Zika virus is extremely controversial and reveals the weak medical system in countries with economic difficulties which make it difficult to treat and eradicate. For instance, the medical system in Venezuela is on the brink of collapse, and cannot treat their patients due to a bad economy, and lack of education and information campaign. The Health Ministry is reporting more than 5,000 suspected Zika cases and 3 death related cases in Venezuela. Columbia’s rates have an appalling number of 30,000 cases.
Countries are responding by beginning the fight against the virus by sending military personnel to eradicate insects breeding grounds. In poorer countries there is a lack of bug spray, contraceptives to prevent pregnancies and little medicine for treatment. Republicans are urging Obama to use Ebola funds to prevent the Zika virus. The controversial issue of abortion is surfaced where patients have to consider the question, “should abortion be allowed for women who have contracted the Zika virus?” Pope Francis from Argentina stands strongly against abortion even due to deformity of the child who’s mother contracted the virus.
The excited juniors awaiting their service trip to the Dominican Republic aim to help prevent pregnant women from the Zika virus by bringing supplies and mosquito nets. “I’m sort of nervous, but I’m pretty sure the only serious effects are for pregnant women. Also we are going to bring mosquito nets to help the families we are with.” Said Emily Messner ’17