Girls’ Night Out Encourages All

Students cheer on the Volleyball team at Girls’ Night Out on October 14.

Allison Kearney, Staff Writer

Volleyball, fall sports, lady panthers! All were at the Seattle Prep Girl’s Night Out on October 14th celebrating fall sports athletes while enjoying Prep varsity volleyball.

The idea for Girl’s Night Out first started in 2011 and was originally called CYO night. It was organized by the volleyball team and now is arranged by Mr. Kelly. The goal of this fun event is to have Prep players be role models for all the younger CYO girls. The coach of the volleyball team, Marcene Sullivan, thinks it is a great way to “celebrate where volleyball begins for all young players.”
Annette Irby, a member of the varsity team, is hopeful that “this night will encourage girls to work hard and maybe play for their high school some day.”

3rd through 8th Grade girls were invited by Prep to come out for this great night to see what it was like to be part of the Prep community and enjoy some quality volleyball. There was a great turnout of Prep students, parents, and young girls who love to watch Prep volleyball. Everyone in attendance was given a Lady Panther shirt that they wore during the game to support the team. Seattle Prep’s Varsity Volleyball team was taking on their rival, Blanchet. The crowd was rowdy and excited for the game to start.

All the Prep students in attendance gave the game a great energy and Annette Irby said “the crowd helped me to be more confident when they cheered for us.”

Veronica Gubelman, a senior on the volleyball team, mentioned that “the crowd definitely helps us play better. We vibe off their energy and they help us create a better environment.”

Seattle Prep suffered a tough loss to Blanchet after three intense sets. Although the team did not win they provided Prep with a great night of entertainment and encouragement to all the young girls in attendance.