Use Your Noodle: Eat From the New Ramen Bar

A couple of students piling on the toppings for their Ramen during lunch. The healthy yet tasty option in the Smith Cafeteria allows for students to creatively choose their meal.

Sarah Buchanan, Sports Editor

Arguably one of the best changes made at Seattle Prep for this year are the new features among the Smith Cafeteria. The Panther had the pleasure to interview many of the newly incoming staff members for the cafeteria and briefly discuss some of these modifications. Students have thoroughly appreciated the various options offered for lunch, including the implementation of the ramen bar. Traditionally, a Japanese style noodle bar, Seattle Prep introduces an exotic way to cure one’s craving for pasta. The Smith Cafe’s ramen bar consists of a variety of ingredients one might use to spice up their pasta bowl with a combination of Asian-style flavors. When interviewed, head chef Kenyetta Carter answered why she wanted to create a ramen bar for the students of Seattle Prep: “I hadn’t seen one around besides as a few college cafeterias. The concept allows students to create their own pasta bowl and gives variety from a normal pasta bowl.”

If this article has peaked some interest in utilizing the ramen bar, here are a few of the ingredients offered to top the pasta: bok choy, edamame, bean sprouts, tofu, chicken, eggs, carrots, and broccoli just to name a few. The intent was to create a nice balance between vegetables, protein and other flavors. The ramen bar will be offered every other week for the students to create a personalized bowl of pasta. Unfortunately, very few students have been partaking in this unique option. For the two that the ramen bar has been offered, the average number that use the ramen bar are 18 students. It would be a shame for a delicious and nutritious option such as this one to be extinguished due to lack of interest. Kenyetta stated that depending on the student interest will determine whether or not to keep the ramen bar. Hopefully students will view the ramen bar as an alternative way to receive the proper nutrients while consuming a delicious meal.